Bachelor of Science in Finance
When you major in finance, you'll be prepared to succeed in a variety of professional positions in financial management, financial institutions and investments.
During your first three years of undergraduate study, you'll fulfill general education, business core and finance core course requirements. As you select a career path in your senior year, you'll take elective courses in investments, banking and/or corporate finance.
Depending on the career path you select, upper-division course work also prepares you to sit for the Level I Chartered Financial Analyst (C.F.A.) examination or the Certified Treasury Professional (C.T.P.) examination. Both of these professional certification programs have set global standards for excellence in the world of finance.
- To enroll in the finance core (FINA 330, 340, 350) you must earn a minimum grade of B in FINA 320 (Principles of Finance) and or 3.00/4.00 minimum cumulative NIU GPA.
- You must submit a Transcript Review Form to the Department of Finance. Generally, the form is to be completed during the semester enrolled in FINA 320 and ACCY 306 (or during the semester prior to enrolling in FINA 330, 340, 350 and 393).
- Satisfactory completion of the finance core (FINA 330, FINA 340, FINA 350) as evidenced by a grade of C or better in each of these courses is required prior to enrolling in any 400-level FINA course.
- You may not repeat more than two 300- or 400-level FINA courses, with a maximum of one repeat from the finance core courses (FINA 330, FINA 340 and FINA 350).
- To graduate as a finance major or minor, you must earn a grade of at least a C in each required FINA course. For more information, please visit the Undergraduate Catalog.
- B.S. in Finance
- M.S. in Finance
- Minor in Finance
- Certificate of Undergraduate Study in Finance
- Certificate of Undergraduate Study in Financial Planning
- Certificate of Graduate Study in Finance
- Certificate of Graduate Study in Financial Risk Management
- Certificate of Graduate Study in FinTech
- Professional Certifications
Contact UsDepartment of Finance
740 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115